Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Going Global: Part 1

Ahlan!

It's been a while since my last post, and for that I apologize. Midterms are a harsh mistress. To make up for it, I'm going to take a page out of Billy Mays' playbook and give you two posts for the price of one! And just this once, I'll even toss out the usual S&H charge ;) But I digress ...

Last week, I had the unique opportunity to visit four continents in just two days. And I'm not even jet-lagged. In fact, I never left campus. Enter Global Day.

 
Each spring, over 5000 students, representing 84 distinct nationalities, turn AUS's marble-clad main plaza into a global village of sorts, complete with intricately decorated pavilions and samples of traditional dishes and drinks. The displays take weeks to plan and construct, and the end result is quite spectacular. But that's not all. Global Day also includes an evening program in which campus cultural clubs perform songs and dances that embody the spirit and traditions of their heritage. This year marked the 15th installment of the beloved festival and showcased 30 countries, including the UAE, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Armenia, Pakistan, Lebanon, Bangladesh, Palestine, Libya, India, Sudan, Russia, and Egypt, among others.

Words really don't do this event justice, and even photographs feel hollow, lacking the full spectrum of sights, sounds, and smells that I took in while wandering through the pavilions and watching the performances. Nonetheless, here are some of the highlights of my Global Day 2013 experience, complete with pictures. Enjoy!

Iraq



A replica ziggurat complete with a fountain (a temple built by ancient Mesopotamian civilizations) was the highlight of the Iraqi pavilion.

Saudi Arabia


The Saudi cultural club presented a traditional sword dance for the evening show (shown above), and their pavilion had samples of Arabic sweets, free copies of the Qur'an, and a booth where visitors could try on the local head scarf in addition to displays featuring Saudi arts and crafts. Rumor has it that one of the Saudi princes was a part of the performance ...


Syria


The Syrian pavilion (my personal favorite, design-wise).


Yemen

The Yemeni pavilion offered jewelry and trinkets for sale, and the hosts all wore traditional dress complete with Janbiyas (the curved daggers seen in the back of the above photo).


Somalia

While the decorations were cool, the best part of the Somali pavilion (other than saying hi to my Somali friend Rukia of course!) was the tea. I don't know what they put in this stuff (though Rukia has offered to make some for me in the future) but it tastes and smells absolutely amazing. There's a subtle hint of cinnamon to offset the herbal complexity, and if you truly want to appreciate the sensory experience, a single cup just won't suffice :)


Japan


I can't remember what these sausage-filled dumplings are called (they're similar to Gyoza but aren't made with wonton wrappers), but the chef at the Japanese pavilion had them down to a science. My taste buds left the booth of the Rising Sun quite happy. If I track down a recipe, I'll be sure to share it with you all!

EDIT: Google has informed me that the Japanese snack pictured above is called takoyaki.

India



The Indian pavilion sold biryani and fresh fruit juices and also offered free henna tattoos while you listened to a performance of traditional music, seen above. Good food, and good entertainment? Count me in!

------------------

I could go on and on about each of the 30 countries represented at Global Day, but in the interest of brevity, I'll spare you. If you want to see more pictures from the event, check out my photo album on facebook. That said, I promised you a 2 for 1 post, so head on over to "Going Global: Part 2" for more reflections on Global Day, this time with an emphasis on the culinary arts. If you aren't hungry now, you will be soon ... It's RECIPE TIME!

~MH

No comments:

Post a Comment